I have literally just finished trimming and smoothing the edges of a bunch of notebooks I’ve been flattening for about a week. Trimming the edges is hard, even with a craft knife (yes, I got over myself and got one. A cutting mat too. I feel sorry for that thing. It’s all battered and bruised now.)
The binding isn’t as straight or as tight as I think it could be, so there’s room for improvement there, and I think some of the rainbow ones are a bit thick, but that’s easy enough to correct on any more I may make in the future. I also think that maybe my thread is a bit thick but, I’m not entirely sure on that. The thickness of the notebooks is probably why some of them don’t close flat enough for my liking, but I might make some elastic closures with the silver elastic I have lying around. Not sure yet. Also, the top and bottom edges are not quite as straight, and the long edges are a wee bit rough and ready (not enough to cause paper cuts though I think) but… Other that all that, I’m pretty impressed. I mean, those are all things that can easily be corrected on the next batch (if I ever get around to more.)
I’m pretty pleased with myself!
Here’s the link to the YouTube video I used as a tutorial. I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago now, I think, but I’ll link it again. There’s a link within that video to a tutorial for the saddle stitch binding too.
Most of these have plain, rainbow coloured paper from Paperchase, but some have grid/squared Rhodia paper. I think the paper colour is visible in the second photo. Err… The covers are black card from The Works, except that orange one – that’s a cover from the Rhodia grid pad I used because I didn’t want to cut up another sheet of black card.
Not going to lie, I am actually pretty impressed with myself!
I don’t have a lot else to say this week. Writing’s going well, and reading is picking up again. When I’m not sinking time into Cake Mania that is!
Until next week guys,
Blog post word count: 415 words.